Freitag, 25. Januar 2008

Blueberry Raspberry Pancakes & Golden Vanilla Pear Raspberry Almond Cupcakes

What a title! Makes me wish to turn back time and eat it all over again =p

Ha ha, what is it? International-Pancake-Craving-week? I just saw Katie's post. YAY for Pancakes!!!

Last night I wanted to make the Black Bean-Chili Jennifer posted on her blog until I realized I didn't have any beans. I'll buy some today and make it either tonight or tomorrow.
I also plan on trying a sun-dried tomato hummus recipe I found yesterday.
Since it's the end of the month and I'm pretty much broke I can't buy as much as I'd like. I love having a wide variety of vegetables in my fridge so whatever I decide I feel like having, I'll be able to make it.
But oh well I will get money in a few days so this weekend the Chili, Hummus and some self-baked bread(if I can get myself to finally try it) ought to do it.

So after my no-Chili-making-possible incident I decided on Blueberry and Raspberry Pancakes.



I used Anke's Saved-My-Day Almost-BRAT-Diet Pancakes recipe and adapted it a little. The dough was a bit thin so I added more flour(I used whole wheat), but either way they came out very flat. I didn't mind though.
Flat, fat, angular, quadratic... I don't care as long as it's a Pancake!



They tasted very good. I spread some plum puree on top which fit perfectly.
Somehow I never manage to leave the berries in the freezer until the dough is ready. This time it was very bad, the dough was a mix of green, blue and purple. Baked they looked black which I really liked. I don't mind the color anyway, but it's harder to convince people that this dark flat thing really is a delicious Pancake =p


Then I had leftover pears that needed to be used up so I added the following to the Golden Vanilla Cupcake recipe.
  • 1 1/2 pear
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1/4 cup crushed almonds



They were luscious. I brought the rest to work with me and when I placed them next to my co-worker his eyes lit-up "Ohhh, cakes!" He liked them(the other one just passed by me nibbling on it declaring "Mhh, they're yummy!"). I didn't say anything about them being vegan though.
Neither did I tell my boyfriend yesterday(although if he was smart he knew I was lying to him).



Because when he arrived last night I was almost done with my pancakes and asked him if he wanted some. He suspiciously walked into the kitchen and glared at the pan "That's with soy milk, right?" "Just try them for gods sake, it's not going to kill you because it's soy milk!" He took a bite and wasn't grossed out, but he didn't say anything and left the rest to me.
So when the Cupcakes were ready I knew I had to lie to make him eat them. I offered one to him. "These are also with soy milk!?" "No, I used cows milk. I know you wouldn't eat them otherwise." So he did.

And I sat there and basked in my success, muahaha! You're right Katie, we are evil little vegans indeed. ;)

Kommentare:

Jennifer hat gesagt…

This is National Pancake Week! I am going to the store after work tonight to buy the ingredients for Blueberry Corn Pancakes. We're all on the same food wavelength right now. Yours do look delish, I am jealous as I crunch on a granola bar at at my desk at work. I would much rather have some of those pancakes.

Your muffin title is quite a mouthful, but they look wonderful as well.

Nice trick on your boyfriend! I wish he would just give it a chance. I think what is funny is he took the muffin and ate it, probably thought it was very good, but if you told him it had soy milk in it, he would change his mind. Men!

Haha! Score one for the Evil Little Deutsch Vegan!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

I find it so awesome to see that everyone's in the Pancake mood now. Blueberry Corn, that sounds awesome aswell. While I was eating mine yesterday I was thinking about a zucchini pancake recipe I saw on a blog a while ago. I think I'll try this the next time. Hearty Pancakes are actually so tasty!!

Thank you =) Sadly I didn't take a picture of its inside. Thanks to the raspberries they sure did have a wonderful pink core!

I couldn't help it but laugh out loud, because it's so true what you said =p
I will slowly feed him vegan stuff without his knowledge and some day surprise him "That steak you just devoured was Tofu, HAHAHA!" Nah, that wouldn't work =p
But I think with time will come acceptance and hopefully he'll be more open minded.

Ha ha! Woot, that's me! *bows*

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

WOW, you outdid my pancake efforts for sure! Those things look delicious, with the berries oozing out.

And the cupcakes? Their name alone made me want to try one even before I saw the pictures.

Haha you should ask your boyfriend if he liked the cupcake and after he says yes, tell him they were made with soymilk!

Oh, and what a cute picture of the veggie sub-- did you do that with Photoshop?
I've actually not been to Subway since I became a vegan. Maybe I should give it another try.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Oh man, thank you. After all the praise I feel like I should re-do everything and beam it to Texas =) It's 2008, why hasn't anyone invented beaming yet?

Ha ha, I think I will. But better after I whipped him up with dinner, or else he will be too suspicious to ever eat anything I make again =p

Yup, that's Photoshop! It was a Tuna sandwich though... looked rather disgusting. I'm doing an AD for the Sub of the Day right now and all of them are loaded with meat. I feel so bad for praising them after just reading about slaughterhouses *whines* Ah well, at least I know I'm not harming anyone anymore =)

If you go, let me know how you liked it. I hadn't been there for quite some time either and I usually only eat whole wheat bread with lots of sunflower and pumpkin seeds and found the bread rather disappointing(but that was to expect if one rarely eats fluffy bread).

veganalects hat gesagt…

Those look so good! This pancake craving must be contagious, because I just made some this morning!

Anke hat gesagt…

Hi lizzy,

wow, sorry my recipe didn't work out for you. the funny thing is, I never really had a proper cup measure, I just used a real cup. the other day I bought a cup measure and it turns out that my real cup was even bigger, so in reality I used even more liquid. I don't understand why your pancakes turned out flat instead of fluffy. must have been the whole wheat flour, it has different baking properties.

anyway, don't go too much by recipe with pancakes. trust your feeling and make a nice and thick batter, the amount of baking powder depends on the flour. hm, maybe it is because I use HEAPING tablespoons of flour?

but anyway, I love the color they got from the berries. now, that is something different for a change :-)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

It's all right =) Yesterday I veganized the recipe I usually used and they came out well. This one asks for 2 tsp. heaped baking soda, so that's probably why it also worked with whole-wheat flour, haha ;)