Freitag, 29. Februar 2008

Asparagus Bell Pepper & Broccoli Stir-Fry

Yesterday I threw together another stir-fry with quinoa on the side because I needed some yummy food fast, I was starving!



I had the following on hand: broccoli, scallions, a red bell pepper and asparagus since I went to the Asian market again. Everything is so cheap there, I love it! But just like last time I went in with nothing more than 2.30 or something, otherwise I would've stocked up on more food. Tofu for 80 cents... seriously, I can't get over it =p

In a different supermarket I found a vegan bell pepper onion dip with mustard and garlic etc. listed as ingredients. I bought it because I thought, thinned out with milk or water, it might make a nice sauce. So I had it with my stir-fry (just a Tbsp. on the side) to try it.
I must say... the taste was in no way to my liking! *shudders* It tasted exactly like eggsalad - a store-bought artifical tasting eggsalad! Yuck!
You could't recognize any of the listed ingredients in the taste of this dip and that really freaked me out. Plus, it tasted very much like mayonnaise and overall just artifical. This was a waste of money. What a disappointment!

I don't know what I'll have for dinner tonight, but a few days ago I had a weird craving. To some people this is probably an odd combination, but I think it may even taste pretty good. I'll try it some time to make sure. The dish I have in mind is: Quinoa with applesauce and red cabbage!

Kommentare:

Romina hat gesagt…

Quinoa is so good with stifries. I rarely eat rice with stifries anymore.

Oooh... quinoa with applesauce and red cabbage sounds like an interesting combo, but a yummy combo!

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Sorry to hear about your sauce! But the stir-fry still looks fantastic!

I actually think that quinoa idea you had could be good, it's one of those weird combinations that just seem like it could work.

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Yet another delicious stir-fry creation from you - and hey, that applesauce/cabbage combination doesn't sound odd to me! It sounds fabulous, actually! :0)

So sorry that the sauce wasn't to your liking; but the actual stir-fry dish definitely makes up for it, I'd say :0)

Anke hat gesagt…

Quinoa with applesauce and red cabbage... you know what they say about pregnant women in Germany?? haha, just kidding.

your stir fry looks yummy.

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

not only is your food always eye candy -- I love the use of veggies! and the combinations are always savory.. I need to start making these stir-frys!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

LOL I am so amazed at how many people have never had pecans. Growing up, my favorite thing was pecan pie. (The chocolate bourbon pecan pie in How it all Vegan, by the way, is amazing! Hehe, I think the authors describe it as being "better than sex".)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Well there's no more denying then... the first time I'll try Pecans will be with this cake!! ;)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Romina - Me neither! Quinoa has taken the place of rice.

I'll try it sometime this week =)

Jennifer - Thanks a lot!!
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I'll find out some time this week if I was right ;)

Veggie Girl - Thank you so much! And yeah, I'll give it a try this week. I'm quite excited to see how it'll turn out.

Anke - Ha ha oh man, for the first second I was like "Uh oh..." =p
Thank you, it really was =)

Happy Herbivore - Aww, thank you so much! Every vegetable I eat pretty much comes as a stir-fry, ha ha! I find it the easiest way to prepare various veggies.