Dienstag, 26. Februar 2008

Baked Bean and Veggie Casserole & a Survey



Mhhh, I had another all veggie meal for dinner. Except for the MozzarelART on top, but this was the first time I tried vegan cheese. Although it didn't melt(luckily Romina had already told me this) it was good, the perfect finish for the dish!

The casserole consisted of a layer of baked beans in salsa (tomato, tomato paste, onion, garlic, herbs) topped with a layer of gently roasted garlicky vegetables (red & yellow bell pepper, zucchini and scallions) and sprinkled with grated vegan Mozzarella. And not to forget delicious green asparagus with salt & pepper on top.



Delish!

Baked Bean and Veggie Casserole
serves 1

Ingredients

for the baked beans in salsa:
1 (1/2) cups baked beans (I used beans from a jar)
1 onion
2 Tbsp. water (or 1 Tbsp. olive oil)
1 clove of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
salt, pepper, to taste
thyme, rosemary, oregano, to taste
fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)

1. in a saucepan sautée the onion and add water as needed to prevent it from burning, add the garlic
2. add the baked beans, tomato paste and the fresh tomato and stir well
3. on low heat cover up for 2-3 minutes
4. add salt, pepper and herbs to taste

for the gently roasted vegetables:
2 Tbsp. water (or 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil)
1 onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 zucchini
1 scallion
salt, pepper, to taste
thyme, rosemary, oregano, to taste

1. in a pan sautée the onion, add water as needed to prevent it from burning, add the garlic
2. add the chopped bell peppers and scallion, on medium heat keep stirring for about 4-5 minutes
3. add the zucchini (sliced or in chunks) and stir occasionally for another 5 minutes or until veggies have reached the desired consistence
4. add salt, pepper and herbs to taste

combine everything:
- preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C)
- use a casserole dish small enough that the ground will be covered with baked bean mixture
- before putting the baked beans into the casserole dish, add a handful of fresh chopped basil if you like
- once the baked beans are spread out in the dish, add the vegetables on top
- sprinkle with vegan Mozzarella
- put some green asparagus on top, sprinkle with pepper and some salt
- bake for about 10 minutes and enjoy!



And since Cookie Mouse tagged me you'll get to know a little bit more about me now.

1. What were you doing 10 years ago? In 1998?
Let's see, I was in 5th grade. So I guess I was just being a regular kid dealing with regular kid stuff back then. I believe I invested most of my money in stupid teen magazines back then. And I probably started wearing make-up. Horrible make-up choices like: blue eye shadow and dark red lipstick, oh my ha ha!

What were you doing 1 year ago?
My then girlfriend and I moved from Neukölln to Tempelhof and I was basically just busy with my career training as a mediadesigner that had started 7 months earlier.

2. Five favorite snacks?
  • Nuts (Cashews are probably my #1, followed by almonds)

  • Nut butter (Cashew or peanut - I dip my nuts in it)

  • Fruit (apples and pears or berries if I happen to have some)

  • Bruschetta

  • Soy yogurt or a Smoothie


3. Five favorite toys?
  • my MacBook which is called Le Big Mac (after listening to the wonderful Pulp Fiction conversation in the car)

  • my Nikon camera, doesn't have a name (yet)

  • my Electra bike (clearly "her" name is Carmen) =p

  • my crosstrainer

  • my Wacom tablet


4. What I like doing:
I really like photography a lot! I mostly photograph objects or landscapes, but I'd love to do more shoots with people. So if anyone happens to be in Berlin one day, make sure to ring my door bell ;)
Of course: cooking and baking!
I also love doing sketches and scribbles and whatnot, but sadly haven't done that a lot lately.
So apart from that it's basically hanging out with people I love and whose company I enjoy and feel is worth my time, listening to music while having mind movies, reading ... and I have to admit that exercising grew to me lately. I'm thinking about starting Pilates again.

5. My bad habits?
Cookie Mouse, I'm sorry to steal some of your answers, but we seem to have the same bad habits.
  • laziness & hardcore procastination

  • absent-minded

  • takes ages to make up my mind

  • too much coffee

  • cigarettes


Now let's see, who isn't tagged yet?
I don't have the time to check now, so everyone who hasn't been tagged yet grab this survey and let the rest of us learn a little something about you =)

Kommentare:

Cookiemouse hat gesagt…

I wanted to add bruschetta as a snack but I had five already. How do you like the D40X? After many years with Nikon I got the Canon EOS 400D because they were our event sponsors last year. I'm very happy with it but still miss that Nikon "feel" to a camera. Love Le Big Mac. It's a great name for a laptop.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

I love it!!
I was actually wishing for the EOS 400D, but since my dad has various lenses for his Nikon he thought it'd be smarter if he got me a Nikon, too so I could use them. Good thinking ;)

An EOS 400D for free is awesome!! My best friend has this one, I used it a few times. And I know what you mean by the Nikon "feel".

That's what I thought right away when I heard the line =p

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Ok, that casserole looks fantastic! Seriously, those asparagus on top make me happy! I like to use the vegan cheese every now and again, don't feel bad. Besides, with all the good stuff in this dish, a little vegan cheese won't hurt!

I love that you name your gadgets!

All these veggie meals, you are too much! If I'm ever in a rut of something nutritious and bursting with whole foods to make, all I have to do is come look at your blog!

Romina hat gesagt…

I love your casserole! It looks so beautiful. Your pictures really look amazing. Did you get a new camera? (I name my gadgets too, everything is named after a character from the Sound of Music, haha)

I'm sure it tasted just as good even though the cheese didn't melt, it's alll about the taste!!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Jennifer - It adds such a nice touch to it, don't you think? Plus roasted asparagus tastes sooo good.

Ha ha, thank you. My old laptop was named Larry the laptop (how creative), then I had a digital camera called Fifi Fotoapparat(camera in German), my best friend and I named her first camera Carla, the second one Kamerun =p

Thank you so much!!
Aww, you have no idea how that made me smile! And not to say very, very proud! *blushes*

Romina - Thanks a lot! I'm still using my Nikon D40X, but with a fisheye lense at the moment.
Awesome! I love personalizing gadgets and it's even cooler that yours are all named after a Sound of Music character, ha ha!

That's true! And I wanted vegan cheese only so I could sprinkle casseroles, lasagna or pizzas with it anyway and it's perfect for that so I'm happy that it tasted good(I read many bad reviews on vegan cheese so I had no idea what to expect).

jenna hat gesagt…

wow! That casserole looks wonderful! I'm sure it tasted as amazing as it looks! I love simple meals like that and how satisfying they are.

My mom posted the cabbage recipe under my breakfast post this morning! Check it out if you are interested!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

Ok, I must know-- how did you make the casserole? Did you roast the veggies in the oven first? Or did you roast them all together in the casserole dish? And did you use olive oil to keep them from burning? It looks so good!

Courtney hat gesagt…

That casserole is beautiful! I hope it tasted as good as it looks!

Courtney

Vegyogini hat gesagt…

What a gorgeous casserole! I can't believe you were allowed to wear make-up in 5th grade. My mom would never have gone for that!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Jenna - So true!
I checked it out, thanks a lot!

Katie - I edited this post with the recipe, just for you ;)
I'm sure you'll love this dish, I'm totally craving it right now!

Courtney - Thank you, it was superb!

Vegyogini - Thanks =)
My mom just commented on the dark lipstick and said I looked like a hooker. True, ha ha!
But I usually just used lipbalm and maybe some eyeshadow back then, but soon got a hang on a more natural look (luckily) =p

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

You dip your nuts in nut butter? That's too funny! No one can say you don't get enough protein.

Your casserole is expertly decorated. Gorgeous!

Ashasarala hat gesagt…

That casserole looks incredible! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it! And who cares- vegan cheese still tastes good even in its unmelted state. ;)

Interesting survey! I might fill one out, myself.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Ruby - Yup, I do. It can never get too nutty, ha ha!
Thank you =)

Ashasarala - I'm excited that people want to try it =)
So true and I'm really glad that the first vegan cheese I ever bought was a tasty one!

Great, I love getting to know a little bit about the people behind the fantastic vegan cooks =)