Dienstag, 12. Februar 2008

Crunchy Cinnamony Vegan Granola

Last night I finally got around to make Granola, something I have never had before, but always wanted to try, and it turned out so good! I had it for breakfast with vanilla soy yogurt and applesauce. In combination it was a tad bit too sweet, although the yogurt isn't very sweet itself and the applesauce is unsweetend.
So I guess next time I will add only a Tbsp. brown sugar or none at all. And no Pecans next time, they became kind of salty.

But apart from that I'm very much in love with this! And I will make these next, I just didn't have any peanut butter. Who knew the thought of making my own granola bars would excite me this much?



Vegan Granola
an adaption of this homemade granola

Ingredients
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or pumpkin, I just didn't have any)
1/2 - 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped (I used almonds, cashews and Pecans)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup brown sugar (make that less if you don't want it too sweet)
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons agave syrup
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used cranberries, didn't have anything else)

1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
3. combine all the ingredients (except the dried fruit) and stir well
4. spread the mixture out into an even layer on the prepared baking sheet
5. bake for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on the depth of goldenness you’re looking for), stirring every 10 minutes
6. remove the granola from the oven and and cool completely
7. once it's cool, mix in the dried fruit



Oh man, I found so many new incredible recipes I want to try. So much to cook and bake and so little time...

Kommentare:

Romina hat gesagt…

I had a dream that I made granola for the first time last night, so this looks so delicious. I really want to try it, but I couldn't find a proper recipe so I might try this! It looks like it could make great granola bars too. =)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

I have always wanted to try making homemade granola, especially since most you buy from the store contain honey. This looks really yummy and delicious.

I know what you mean. I have a thumb drive (removable storage device) that has a 'recipes to try' folder that gets bigger everyday. And then I keep buying cookbooks too, and then there are always those really good recipes that you made once and want to try again. Ahhh, so much food, so little time.

T hat gesagt…

I've been wanting to make my own granola forever too- and it really does look awesome.
i think my problem is the overload- I would want to put literally everything in it. But your recipe looks like it has enough variety to keep me interested. Will definitely have to give it a shot.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Romina - That's so funny, hehe!
This one tastes really good, I just wish I would have had more dried fruits and nuts on hand.

Jennifer - It really is and it smelled soooo good. I kept snacking while it was still in the oven =p

Ha ha, yeah I think most of us have that problem. I was looking for shortcake recipes a few minutes ago but then stopped because I thought to myself "There's one in VwaV. You own that book, now start using it!" Hopefully it'll turn out good.

T - Oh believe me, had I had more ingredients on hand I would've thrown in more nuts, seeds and dried fruit too. I'm curious what you will create =)

Paulina hat gesagt…

Thanks for your comment on my blog :)

The Uncheese Cookbook is great. I've only tried making three recipes from the book and loved them all. I have like five post-it notes bookmarking a couple of recipes I want to try. It's also cool to be able to make your own block cheezes which is one of the reasons why I bought the book in the first place. So far, I recommend it.

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Paulina, thanks. I might ask for it as a birthday gift =)

Ashasarala hat gesagt…

Granola bars are awesome, especially when you add chocolate chips. :)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to see how they'll turn out!!!

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

Ooh, I'll be excited to see your granola bars!! An almond granola bar + a soy latte has become my new favorite mid-morning snack. I dip the bar into the soymilk like biscotti, and then the soymilk brings out the cherry flavor of the almonds (you know, like the cherry-ness of almond extract?)! Yum!