Samstag, 9. Februar 2008

Pancakes for Breakfast & Tortellinis with Broccoli and Cauliflower in Mustard Sauce

I just finished my huge, but fantastic breakfast.



VwaVs Banana Pecan Pancakes. In my case: Banana Pear Cashew and Banana Blueberry Cashew Pancakes. Yumm!

With some fresh pear slices and maple syrup & my jam for dipping. Perfect combination!



I cut the recipe for 9 small pancakes in half and guess how many small pancakes I got out? Nine.
Mhh... what does small mean to Americans? =p

And here's what I had for dinner last night.
I bought spelt tortellinis with a vegetable stuffing a few days ago. And since I'm on a mustard-trip right now and Jennifer sent me a recipe I was able to whip me up with a very filling dinner. And yeah, I'm very much into cauliflower at the moment, too.



Here's my adapted version of the Mustard Sauce:
Ingredients

1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Sherry
2 Tbsp. Dijon
1/2 - 1 Tbsp. veggie broth (I used 1 heaped Tbsp. and it was definitely too much/salty)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1-2 cups soy milk
pepper, to taste

1. in a bowl mix the veggetable broth with cornstarch and set aside
2. sautee the garlic in a little bit of olive oil, for about 2 minutes
3. add the Sherry and mustard and under stirring add the veggie broth cornstarch mix
4. on medium heat let simmer for about 1-2 minutes, add the soy milk (start with 1 cup)
5. on low-medium heat let simmer for about 5 minutes, add more soy milk to reach desired consistence
6. add a little pepper to taste

Sadly I didn't cook the tortellinis long enough so the stuffing was still a bit dry, but they were fine soaked in mustard sauce and paired with broccoli, cauliflower and sunflower seeds.

Kommentare:

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

Your breakfast puts my breakfast to shame!!! And I'm adding the mustard sauce to my ever-growing list of things to try. I used to hate mustard, but it grew on me, and now I can't imagine my life without it hehe.

Yay for cauliflower :o). Oh, and guess what show I watched last night ;o)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Those pancakes look yummy! Haha! Small to Americans means about two to three times as what normal people would think of as 'small'. Get why most of us are so fat here now?

Your dinner looks very tasty. I am going to be trying my hand at mashed cauliflower tonight. You know I have always loved broccoli, but for some reason didn't used to like cauliflower, and now I love 'em both. I missed out for too long!

Courtney hat gesagt…

Yum--I am ALWAYS into cauliflower, and I am sure that sauce was great on it!

I recently found your blog, and I am loving it! Thanks for all of your great posts.

Courtney

Romina hat gesagt…

Your mustard sauce looks sooo good. And that breakfast looks like it's fit for a king!

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

You found vegan TORTELLINI?! I used to love that stuff so much - what brand did you use?

I always cut VwaV Pancake recipes into fourths and end up getting 3 perfect little pancakes. The Banana-Pecan ones by themselves are so thick and awesome, but I'm impressed - you managed to pack even more fruit in there! They look so fabulous!

Anardana hat gesagt…

Mmm I love mustard, too!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Jennifer - I should have known, ha ha! But oh well, they were so tasty I didn't really mind feeling so full ;)

I love it when I realize that all of a sudden I can't get enough of a certain veggie that I used to hate!

Courtney - Thanks for the sweet comment, I'm always happy when someone enjoys my blog =)
And the mustard sauce fit the cauliflower perfectly!

Romina - Thank you, it really was(except for the a little too dominant veggie broth taste, but I'll just cut back on it the next time)!
Aww, ha ha I loved that, breakfast for a king. Made me feel all powerful and mighty =p

Ruby - I'm at work right now, but I'll check the brand when I get home. I doubt German tortellinis will be available in the US though!?
But I was just as surprised to see "eggless" on the lable. I wish there was a big international V-logo so companies could mark their vegan products more flashily.

Thank you so much! I always end up adding more fruit, because I want to pack my breakfast with as many delicious healthy things possible!
And thanks for the tip, I'll do that the next time. 3 pancakes is the perfect amount =)

Anardana - Once I discovered it for myself, I use it almost daily. It's sooo good!

Ashasarala hat gesagt…

What a filling breakfast! I always end up with a bowl of instant oatmeal and some toast. Not a very great way to start the day...

I think I need more pancakes! :)