Samstag, 16. Februar 2008

Quinoa with Asparagus, Bell Pepper and Soy Sprouts & Whole Wheat Raspberry Corn Pancakes

Yesterday I rediscovered the Asian Supermarket that's only 2 minutes away from my apartment.
I didn't like to go there(weird sickening smell, rude employees) and hadn't gone inside for at least 4 years.
But last night I needed soy sprouts so I went in.
Surprise: the bad smell is now mostly gone and the employees have become more or less friendly.

I went in with 2 € and came out with a bag of fresh soy sprouts and fresh green asparagus, each for 90 cents. How awesome is that? Everything there is so cheap(Tofu costs 2 € less than the one I used to buy) and fresh. I could slap myself for not going there earlier. Ah well, at least I know where I'll go shopping from now on =)

I made Wok Veggies with peanut butter and coconut sauce with my mom last night and tried quinoa for the first time (yes, I love it, too). Sadly I didn't take a picture. And when I came home at 5 in the morning and wanted to heat up the left overs and then photograph them, I discovered that my dad had already eaten them(this morning he mentioned how much he enjoyed the quinoa). So I cooked myself a quick night snack and went to bed.



And this morning I had Whole Wheat Raspberry Corn Pancakes for breakfast. An adapted version of the recipe found in How it all Vegan!



Looking ugly, but tasting so so so damn good! Cornmeal gives pancakes such a fantastic texture. Yumm!

Kommentare:

Romina hat gesagt…

Mmm. That sounds delicious! I'm having an asparagus feast.

Don't you just love finding new places to buy foods? It's like Christmas!

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

The pancakes don't look ugly! They look delicious! Not only do you pancakes always look tempting and fabulous, your photographs are always beautiful. And if you like cornmeal in your pancakes (I do too!), definitely try the Blueberry Corn Pancakes from Veganomicon. They're amaaaazing!

Your veggie dish with the peanut-coconut sauce sounds like it was delicious. I don't think anything can beat peanut sauce. And yellow bell peppers are my favorite kind of peppers! They look so pretty in the photo!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

There are those gorgeous raspberry pancakes again, tormenting me!!!

Ooh, peanut butter coconut sauce? That sounds like an amazing recipe-- is it from a certain cookbook?

Now I want to go to an Asian grocery store!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Romina - I can't believe I've tried green asparagus for the first time in Barcelona, about a year and a half ago. But ever since then I've loved it!

Absolutely! I love how excited I can get over food =p

Ruby - Aww, thank you so much! I'm actually thinking about taking a photography lesson to get some real skills, cause I'm pretty much just a hobby photographer.
Would you be a darling and send me the recipe? Sadly I don't own Vcon yet (which will change as soon as I have money again) ;)

Ha ha, so true about the peanut sauce. It fits asian inspired dishes perfectly.
I like yellow and orange bell peppers best! So good!

Katie - Aww ha ha I wish I could've sent you some. I was so stuffed!

Actually no, we just used about a tbsp. organic peanut butter and some coconut milk. Just try it, I doubt it'll go wrong =)

The one here is quite big! They have so many things and you often can't even tell what a certain product is and the lables are all in chinese. So it's guessing or asking.

Jennifer hat gesagt…

I wish I had an Asian grocer near my home like you do! There is one here, but it's all the way across town, and I don't know how their prices compare to my regular supermarket. I guess I'll have to check it out.

Your stir-fry looks amazing. The Sprouts, the asparagus, the quinoa! Another person on board the quinoa bandwagon, eh? Hard not to love it.

Cornmeal in pancakes seriously rocks. You should check out Dreen's Vive le Vegan blog (if you haven't already) she links to a raspberry cornmeal pancake recipe of hers that is so good. I don't think your pancakes look gross at all, 'cause I know how good stuff like that tastes. Mmmmmmmmmmm.