Sonntag, 30. März 2008

Kale and Potato Hash & ChickBeetPotato Sandwich

In the mess that is called my recipe book I found one for a Kale and Potato Hash I had copied from some website quite some time ago and altered the recipe a little. When I wanted to take a picture of the bowl I realized my batteries were empty, but no panic! Luckily my old digicam was loaded.



No kidding, my boyfriend loved this! He ate at least half of the bowl! I was like "Why didn't you say anything? I would've made more!" He said "Well, I couldn't foresee that it would be so tasty!" Ha ha.

Ingredients (serves 1)

2 medium potatoes
1 cup kale, chopped
1 tsp. olive oil + 2-3 Tbsp. water (you can always omit the oil and use only water instead, but I figured a little hint of olive flavor wouldn't hurt here)
1 medium onion
2-3 Tbsp. soy milk (optional)
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamico bianco
nutmeg, to taste (I used about 2 Tbsp. I think)
salt & pepper, to taste

1. cook the potatoes
2. in a saucepan sautee the onions in oil & water
3. add the salt, pepper and vinegar
4. add the kale to this mixture
5. add the cooked potatoes, mash them with a fork and add soy milk
6. season with nutmeg and pepper

I had beet salad on the side which I put on top of the potatoes after the first bite, because it went so well together.

And you may have been wondering... a ChickBeetPotato Sandwich? Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call it a sandwich, but I didn't know how to call this odd creation that satisfied the hell out of me!

Here you go: I had a leftover potato and leftover beet salad, we had fresh whole-wheat carrot bread so I sliced the potato, topped it with a layer of beet salad, baked two Falafel balls, mashed them a little and topped them with some more beet salad.



My two bread slices were loaded so I decided to use silverware - something that always seemed odd to me. I remeber sitting at my aunts table as a kid, wondering why on earth she was eating a small slice of bread that was only topped with a slice of cheese with a fork & a knife when one could just as well hold it in the hand.

Now I like to eat bread with silverware too, because you don't eat as fast and get to enjoy your food longer. The whole process of eating is intensified! I started eating pizza with a fork & a knife (something that always seemed so out of question) for those reasons, too.
Well, that was back in the cheese eating days I guess because cheese tastes crappy once it cools and hardens - I always got so greedy, seconds later my slice was gone and I didn't even get to really taste and enjoy it. I remember shoving my pizza down so fast just so that I'd get to enjoy the cheese while it tasted best: hot and runny. And it was on top and in the crust... jeez =p Well, that's not a problem anymore now!

Last night I made a pizza with - eek - mushrooms (often just the smell or the thought of chewing one makes me sick... apparently I can only eat them in Pierogies, don't ask me why)! I decided to give them another try - just to give them all to my boyfriend in the end. Ah well, it was good nonetheless. I had mine with lots of sliced zucchini and green asparagus (oh how I love it!) and convinced my boyfriend to let me top his with veggies, too. He loved the combination of the three!
Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture because I hadn't eaten anything the whole day and was starving so it was gone within a matter of minutes (of which I spent at least three picking the mushrooms off my pizza) .

Kommentare:

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

You just gave me an idea of how to cook kale. Thanks!

And your boyfriend should be thankful for all those veggies, haha.

Und danke für den Tipp! Leider gibt's in Darmstadt nicht so viel, aber ich kenne den Supermarkt zufällig aus Frankfurt!

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

that hash looks SO awesome! I wish Scott would eat kale :(

I bought spinach today at the market, so I wil be "fixing" that curry soon!

I'll try to use some of her ingredients just so neither of us gets stuck buying more!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

I AM going to veganize my cousins! Abby (the eldest) already told me that her mom will let her become a vegetarian when she's in 8th grade, so she's planning to do that! And apparently, the whole family cut out beef a few months ago, so that's a start!

Haha, don't you hate it (but love it at the same time) when an omnivore friend/family member eats so much of your vegan food that there's none left for you?! My mom recently did this with a chocolate milkshake that I ordered for ME!

Betsy hat gesagt…

i love your blog!!! i'm trying veganism too right now. so far...loving it!!!

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

Haha, your sandwich seems like an odd combo but it sounds very taste nonetheless! Beets rock. And thanks for the fork-and-knife tip! I will definitely be trying that next time I have a sandwich - I eat too fast sometimes too.

The potato hash looks really good too! What a yummy, vegetable-y dinner!

Anonym hat gesagt…

You didn't eat all day? Don't starve yourself! You're too nice!

Sam hat gesagt…

Wow, this is so pretty! I thought it was a dessert at first! Lovely colors, and it sounds very tasty!

Romina hat gesagt…

I've never tried kale, but it must have tasted delicious with mashed potatoes!!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Alice - You're welcome =)
Ha ha yeah, slowly but surely I make him eat more and more healthy things ;)

Happy Herbivore - It was so good & simple, I'm sure you'll love it. I have to admit that I was rather surprised that my boyfriend LIKED the kale =p
At first I thought you were going to try the hash with spinach(which tastes fantastic aswell), but ohhhh even better! I can't wait to see it =)

Katie - That's awesome!!! But something I've never understood was why some parents would allow their kids to omit meat only at a certain age. I mean what's that all about? My parents could in no way have made me eat meat... I'm really lucky that my parents are not only supportive, but they are also curious to try my new diet!
So YES, I totally love and hate it at the same time if they gobble up my vegan food, ha ha!

Betsy - Thank you =) Isn't it great? I feel so much better since I started eating vegan!
I'll check out your blog aswell!

Ruby - He he, cravings can lead to weird combinations.

Next time I might make some roast veggies to go with because I seriously felt it had too little vegetables in there =p

Anonym - I slept most of the day, that's why! No need to worry =)

Sam - Ha ha, thank you! It really was!

Romina - I've only had kale once before, in a soup my friends mother made. I liked it much better in mashed potatoes =)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

Brett and I dig on some kale, that hash looks SO GOOD Lizzy, you amaze me sometimes. Your boyfriend is really coming around isn't he! Awesome. I knew he would eventually, who could resist your beautiful vegan creations?

I love the idea for your sandwich too, very unique.

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

Oh, and I forgot to tell you: I have that green bowl too!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Jennifer - *blush* Well then I can only hope it'll amaze you incase you're gonna make it ;)
And he really is! He told me that he talked to his mom about me cooking vegan and all and said she was very interested in it, what I cook, how I cook it. Ha ha so I guess he admitted that some of it was to his liking ;)

Alice - Butlers, ne? =p I love it! The size is perfect. I think I need more colors, ha ha!