Montag, 24. März 2008

Peanut Butter Invasion

First off here's a pic I meant to post in the beginning of March, but totally forgot in the mess that is my images folder ;)
Anyway, I pretty much had the same breakfast today: a pear, Blueberry Raspberry Pancakes with applesauce, blueberry sauce and maple syrup.



And now onto the birthday baking. I apologize because we were in a hurry and when we arrived at his place I honestly just didn't think of taking more food pictures although there was A LOT of food. His mom made many turkish dishes. I had the vegetarian ones: couscous and hummus. And even though her hummus was perfectly prepared I still don't get why so many seem to go nuts over it.

But now I present you the best chocolate cookies! I am not kidding. If you're into the combination of banana, peanut butter and chocolate you will love these! If you're not into the banana taste simply use another egg-replacer.



They were actually supposed to have a PB core inside, but we were out of peanut butter and made only the chocolate cookies. I'll post the full recipe though, they are totally worth it!

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Munchies

Ingredients
(makes 32 cookies)

Chocolate Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1/2 banana, mashed (or egg-replacer for 1 egg of choice)
1 Tbsp. soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1. stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda, set aside
2. in a separate bowl, mix margarine, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter
3. add mashed banana, soy milk, and vanilla, beating well
4. beat in as much flour mixture as possible using a mixer, stir in the remaining flour mixture
5. form into 32 balls, about 1 & 1/4 inches in diameter, set aside

Peanut Butter Filling
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp.s granulated sugar

1. beat together powdered sugar and peanut butter until smooth (knead by hand if necessary) and shape into 32 balls
2. preheat oven to 350°
3. slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball and top with a peanut butter filling ball, shape the chocolate dough completely around the peanut butter dough, roll into a ball and repeat with remaining dough
4. place cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking pan
5. bake for about 8 minutes or just until set

The cookie surfaces should be slightly cracked. Cool on pan for about a minute. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Can be frozen for up to 3 months!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake.
You were right Jennifer, this crunchy but soft cake was fantastic!



Peanut Butter Chocolate Rice Crispy Bars from Have Cake, Will Travel!



The Peanut Butter Cinnamon Rolls which my friend liked the most.
They looked pretty much like those, but we didn't have time left for icing but had already mixed powdered sugar, cinnamon and vanilla sugar together and just put that on top which lead to the picture - lots of sugar, but where are the rolls?



And not very photogenic, but damn tasty! Crunchy, sweet and perfect with the raspberry jam in the middle: Peanut Butter Cupcakes from VwaV. We just added jam and 71% chocolate pieces.



All in all this was a huge success, everything was very well recieved and I was called the MacGyver of baking because everyone was like "I'll call you when I want to bake and am missing an egg so you can tell me what to use instead!" Ha ha =p

I wanted to make a pie with silken tofu, too. But the stores were closed on Friday and when I wanted to buy it on Saturday I looked at the recipe again to read that it was supposed to cool in the fridge overnight. So no pie, but there was wayyy to much food anyway.
Talking about way too much food, I just came back from my best friend who's polish and her mom made Pierogies & Borscht, roasted rosemary potatoes, red beet salad and lamb's lettucce with oranges... SUCH a filling and wonderful dinner!

Kommentare:

T hat gesagt…

WOW! Everything looks completely divine. You're friends are some lucky people!

And thats funny about the MacGyver thing- its true, most vegans could rattle off a list of alternatives to just about anything meat or dairy. Buttermilk = soymilk w/ apple cider vinegar, ect.

Romina hat gesagt…

Wow Lizzy, you have been SUPER busy in the kitchen!! And with one of my favorite ingredients... peanut butter. Mmmmm. I don't know where to begin, EVERYTHING is so droolworthy!

Those Peanut Butter Chocolate Munchies look SO cute!

Courtney hat gesagt…

You are such a good friend--your baked goods look amazing! I hope they were all appreciated and that the lovely cook got a lot of credit too!

Courtney

Whaling Station Believer hat gesagt…

So much great food. Way to cook it all up!!!
Lauren

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

Oh my goodness, you have gone peanut butter crazy! But I don't blame you one bit... That stuff is addicting and everything looks amazing! (You must have gone through, like, 5 jars of peanut butter.) I really like your breakfast, too. I must try your pancakes.

Ruby Red Vegan hat gesagt…

Oh my goodness, you have gone peanut butter crazy! But I don't blame you one bit... That stuff is addicting and everything looks amazing! (You must have gone through, like, 5 jars of peanut butter.) I really like your breakfast, too. I must try your pancakes.

Jody hat gesagt…

Oh my *falls off chair* I'm usually not that hungry at this time of day, but god... I'd LOVE some of that stuff right now, please :P Wow, your friend is one hell of a lucky person! <3

The pancakes also look absolutely delicious. I think I definitely have to come and visit you sometime, so you can make me breakfast :P

I got your card last week by the way! Thanks so so so much, it was lovely to get some mail! Will write back asap and that's a promise :) <3

Lizzy hat gesagt…

T - Thanks =)
Ha ha, absolutely! Funny that you mentioned buttermilk, because my friend was mixing together some batter, added the "buttermilk", licked her finger and was like "Eww, I totally forgot about the vinegar in there!" =p

Romina - My best friend helped me with the cinnamon rolls and cupcakes, but I was still surprised that we got everything done without too much hectic!
You should give the pb rolls a try, I'm sure you'll love them!
Aren't they? They look kind of like christmas cookies, but it's snowing here so it fits actually =p

Courtney - Aww, thank you and thank you =) I love to bake for people who mean something to me!

Lauren - Thanks!

Ruby - Totally! I think I had 2 crunchy pb's, 2 creamy pb's and 1 organic pb and I could've used more =p
I love fruity pancakes, I wish I would've had a breakfast like that this morning *sigh*

Jody - Aww, ha ha you'd be more than welcome to stuff your face ;) Bed & Breakfast, I could actually enjoy this. Come on over =D

reginalein hat gesagt…

you are crazy...mhhh warum wirst du nicht einfach sternekoch/konditor ladidaa??

ohii ließt du jetzt franny & zooey? des fand ich schon ganz nett aber catcher in the rye is besser!!

xxx

darf ich hier eigentlich commenten? =P

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Reginchen =D na logo, yay!
ach würd ich gern... ich will bei lindt arbeiten (wenns da so aussähe wie in der webung =p), aber meinen traum vom café irgendwo vergrab ich noch nicht ganz ;)
Ich bin bis zur Stelle gekommen wo der brief anfängt und auf den hatte ich noch keine lust, lol zu langes geschwafel.
man und ich war so "waaas? der franny part is schon vorbei?" weil ich mich teilweise wieder so identifizieren konnte, hmph =p

Jennifer hat gesagt…

You don't understand how happy your breakfast platter makes me. I want that so bad right now! Mmmm, pear. I bought some Bosc pears at the store the other day, they were quickly gone, just ate 'em plain. Good fruit always ends up getting eaten, I never seem to be able to save it for a nice spread like this!

Those cookies are beautiful! Gorgeous! And they sound really tasty!

You made her cake! It WAS so good! Seeing it makes me want to make it again, but you provided that recipe for cookies. Hmmm, now I'm in a dilemma.

Ok, I'm seriously having a baked goods attack from this post! I love the PB crispy bars as well. I think I may want to make those too!

I should seriously move to Germany! You and I would get fat quick. ;-)

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

Everything looks so good... How do you do it?!
I love your blog. I've started a new blog and you're one of my role models, so come say hello anytime you want!!
Und ich wohne auch in Deutschland! Wo hast du den veganen Käse gekauft?!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

*dies from too much peanut butter goodness*

Veghead hat gesagt…

WOW that is on eimpressive spread!

Where'd you get the recipe for the chocolate cookies? I will haaaave to make those at some point, they look divine.

Liz hat gesagt…

Those cookies are super cute!

Liz² hat gesagt…

that's so hardcore you made all that! :o

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Jennifer - Believe me, me too ;) I have some pears lying around, but they're not ripe enough yet, pooh =(
Ha ha, everything was so good. I'm glad you blogged about the cake =)
Do that and hell yeah, we'd get bigger by the minute. You'd cook for me, I'd bake for you... the stove would be under constant use I guess =p

Katie - Ha ha, I wish we could all meet because then I'd be able to bake even more and cook, too... why did nobody invent beaming yet? *sigh*

Veghead - Thank you =)
Sorry, I have no idea to be honest. I found it on a website about a year and a half ago, but most of the time I copy recipes by hand and don't print them out so I'm clueless.
I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Liz - Thanks! They reminded me of christmas cookies =p

Liz² - Thank youuu! I was worried I wouldn't get everything done on time, but luckily I did! That guy deserves all the baked goods in the world - especially because he actually prefers them vegan so it's a win-win situation ;)