Mittwoch, 2. April 2008

Equilinia-Veggie Stuffed Bell Peppers

A winner!!!



My mom said "Oh, yummyyyy!" between each and every bite and my fathers only complaint was that it wasn't salty enough. They both really appreciate the fact that I cook for them. In particular that I cook very healthy!
My mom said after dinner "That's what I love about meals like these... you don't feel so full and bloated afterwards!"
My father already thought of additions "Falafel would taste great with this!"



My boyfriend came over with a steak (the sight of that bloody red piece of flesh seriously made me sick) and fries his mom got him that he wanted to make for dinner.
He asked if he could have a stuffed pepper first and inhaled it within a matter of minutes!



Another dinner he really enjoyed, because after he ate his steak and fries - he kept complaining that the steak didn't taste good because it wasn't medium anymore - he asked if he could have another plate of my delicious vegan veggie food! Well that's not how he put it, ha ha! But he wanted more of it.

So he got it, topped with fresh basil! Mhhhhhh!!!!



The stuffing itself would have made a delicious dinner. I bought this Uncle Bens mix a while ago (a mixture of brown & wild rice, spelt, oats, barley, rye & wheat) and mixed it with the following:

Ingredients
1 can mushrooms, finely chopped added to 2 medium sauteed onions, seasoned with salt & pepper
1 cup asparagus, chopped
1 green and 1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup paprika-hot pepper spread (based on sunflower seeds)
1/3 cup tomato puree
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped

I prepared the mushrooms seperately, sauteed the bell pepper with the asparagus and just cut the fresh tomatoes in small pieces and folded them into the rice mixture along with the basil.

I preheated the oven to 428°F

Then I cut the bell peppers in half. I didn't fill whole ones because that would've made only three. That way we had six =)

I filled the halfs with stuffing, lined them up in the baking dish I had filled with about 1/3 cup tomato puree (I'd usually use half a can of tomatoes but I only had a pack of tomato puree on hand), put more filling into the middle of the dish (I still have leftovers - my mom had the fantastic idea last night to make cabbage rolls with the stuffing, I LOVE IT!) and poured the rest of the tomato puree (I used one pack, 1/3 cup for the stuffing) over it.

Covered it up and baked it for about 25 minutes.

Mhhh, can't wait to have that in cabbage rolls =)

Kommentare:

Liz² hat gesagt…

gorgeous arrangement! and I can't wait to see the recipe, after hearing about the reactions to this! it really sounds good.

Romina hat gesagt…

You've done it again!! AMAZING!

Happy Herbivore! hat gesagt…

gorgeous!

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

This dish looks so incredible I can almost taste it looking at the photos. Lizzy, your a great photographer, let me tell you. I wish you could take the pictures of my food, haha. Are you moving to Darmstadt any time soon? ;-)

Jennifer hat gesagt…

That looks absolutely delish! You are so creative with your food. It's wonderful how much your family has been enjoying your vegan food. And your boyfriend!!! Man he's coming around. I told you if you just kept making amazing food he couldn't help but enjoy it - vegan or not. :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

I'd pick that gorgeously-colorful mess of food over a gross old steak ANY day!

ChocolateCoveredVegan hat gesagt…

And yay for being shoe twins! I wear mine EVERYWHERE!

poopiebitch hat gesagt…

I can't wait until you post the recipe for this - it looks amazing!

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Liz² - Thank you =) I just posted it!

Romina, Happy Herbivore - *blushes* Thanks!!

Alice - Ha ha, I know that feeling too well ;)
Aww thank you so much =)
& nope, but will tell you if I do he he!

Jennifer - Thanks a lot! I know, I didn't expect it at all, but I guess he just had to get used to it. I'm very happy about that!

Katie - Me toooo, thank you =p
I was like "Noooo, oh god please don't use my pan!" *panics*
They're the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn in my whole life ;)

poopiebitch - Thanks, I just edited this entry. The recipe's up now =)

monkeybaker hat gesagt…

That looks so good! I may have to try those stuffed peppers!