Mittwoch, 18. Juni 2008

Cherry Chocolate Pancakes & Lentil-Veggie Lasagna

Yes, that brownblackish smear on the right one is indeed 85% dark chocolate oozing out of the pancake! And yes, I used cherries from a jar.

While watching France loose against Italy last night (I thought of you Romina and was like "I bet she's totally celebrating right now!" ha ha) I suddelny craved pancakes! I could totally identify myself with Ruby's statement from a while ago, he he!
"I can't stop making them - I'm obsessed. I can't control myself: I just wake up and my hands start making pancakes!!!"
They were delicious! The intense taste of the dark chocolate with the juicy and fruity cherries inbetween was a festival for my tastebuds!
I had them with raspberry jam (pictured) and maple syrup.
If you ever want to try them definitely go with the maple syrup as the tastes fit together perfectly!



I mixed together the following, aiming to get no more than two pancakes out of the batter as I wasn't actually very hungry.

Ingredients
makes 2 pancakes


important: I used a rather small Tbsp. (I used children's silverware, erm...)

3 Tbsp. water
4-5 Tbsp. soy milk (or any other milk)
1/2-1 Tbsp. apple sauce
1-2 Tbsp. agave syrup (sweeten to taste)
a few dashes of cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
5 Tbsp. flour (I used whole meal)
dash baking soda
pinch salt
1/2-1 cup cherries (I'm the kind of person who likes it best if there's more fruit than dough so I went with a cup)
cuple of small chocolate pieces (I used two and broke them into small pieces; chocolate chips would be the easiest way to go I guess but 1/4 cup costs about 1.50 here)


After work I went shopping. Look at how tiny the zucchini is!
Everytime I see something incredibly small version of a usually bigger item I buy it because I'm like "Aww look, it's a Lizzy-Zucchini!" as I'm only 5'2", ha ha!



I also found red lamb's lettuce which I've never heard of before. I'll make it tonight with nectarines and a raspberry-lime dressing I've been wanting to try, hence the raspberry jam and limes.



I didn't like this fruit bar too much as the coffee taste was rather wird... but luckily I had also purchased this fantastic dark chocolate that made my pancakes extra special!

As a snack I made myself a bowl of fruit: golden kiwi, watermelon and honeydew melon!



Later I reheated my last piece of Lasagna.
I had mixed together the leftover sauces from here with tomato purée and seasoned it with oregano, salt & pepper.
I also cooked a cup of red lentils and added them to the sauce. While the lentils were cooking I sautéed an orange bell pepper and 3 carrots cut into chunks. Everything was combined and filled into the Canneloni.
The rest was used as a filling for the Lasagna with additional frozen spinach inbetween the layers which was just perfect!
My mom, dad and boyfriend ate the Canneloni & the rest of the Lasagna as I had topped it with cheese for them (my mom's request). They enjoyed it a lot!
I was fine without it and enjoyed my piece with some soy yogurt sprinkled with a little pepper.

At first I thought I'd miss the white sauce, but turns out that the red lentils give the filling a creamy texture which was completely awesome! Lentils working in Lasagna, who would've thought?

Kommentare:

romina hat gesagt…

Aww, that's so sweet that you were thinking of me! I was celebrating for sure!! I think if I had those pancakes, my celebration would've been complete!

Except that lasagna looks sooooo delicious now too. I want it all!!

VeggieGirl hat gesagt…

Pancakes, lasagna, fruit salad... everything looks amazing. Yum!!

Hooray for Italy winning the game!! I was rooting for them :0)

Lizzy hat gesagt…

Thanks you two =)

Just yesterday as I was devouring my pancakes and my bf started complaining about soy again & I was like "It really sucks for you that you don't like natural and healthy food. Just imagine what it'd be like if you had no problem with eating things made with soy milk etc., I'd cook and bake things all the time if I had someone else to share it with! Pancakes, cookies... you name it! You'd get served awesome food all the time... many people who enjoy this food would envy you so much!" Tsk, you guys have to move here so I can cook for you =D

Or better yet I should move to NY, I've been wanting to anyways so why not now? I'll take Alice&Mihl with me ;)

Alice (in Veganland) hat gesagt…

Oh, I think that lasagna looks perfect, but so that you know... there's a soy bechamel sauce in alNatura which is very good. I don't remember the name, but it's something Italian, a small package, and I think it's the only one they have! Maybe you'll want to try someday...

CeciLiA hat gesagt…

thank you for the recipe!!!! The lasagna looks soooo yummy... I'm licking the screen now - soo warmmm sooo comforting!!

Tuimeltje hat gesagt…

Oh, tasty. I've not had anything pancake-like in ages, but I'm really looking forward to making some now. And going well beyond the ones I learned to make as a kid.

Cookiemouse hat gesagt…

That Edelbitter chocolate is one of my favourites. The fruit salad looks lovely and colourful.

Liz² hat gesagt…

lentils in a lasagna, I love it!

(also, you have been eating way way way too much gorgeous food for me to fathom right now. you should send me some. yessss...... especially that cake, father's day version, oh yes! :P)